In today’s episode, Joe sat down with Joe Simpson Jr. Joe is a Front-End Web Developer and Graphic Designer specializing in WordPress solutions. During days he works at a top-five transit agency, fighting the good fight to ease the commute around Los Angeles County.
They discuss Joe’s responsibilities in the digital strategy team at Metro Los Angeles, how he started in the WordPress space, his continuous effort for the inclusion of people of color in the open source space, and the planning for the 3rd WordCamp Santa Clarita.
Tune in to learn how the WordPress environment came to be more diverse!
What to Listen For:
- 00:00 Intro
- 01:11 Let’s welcome Joe Simpson!
- 04:16 Visit The Source
- 06:02 How did you get into this area of WordPress?
- 08:13 Getting involved in the WordPress community
- 11:00 Ahmed Khalifa is a common connection
- 13:00 African-American representation in the WordPress community
- 17:27 Creating a more diverse space in the open-source environment
- 22:14 Changes in the WordPress space since COVID
- 29:20 Everyone’s first time in a WordCamp
- 32:10 The backstory behind WPMRR’s new branding and design
- 35:06 Planning for the 3rd WordCamp Santa Clarita
- 38:30 Proper documentation helps shape a more successful virtual event