In today’s episode, Joe talks to Courtney Engle Robertson, a WordPress teacher dedicated to helping businesses streamline their online marketing. She has been teaching basic through advanced software, hardware, and social media uses in plain English for third graders through grandparents, including businesses and bootcamp students since 2001.
Courtney reveals the unlimited passion behind the Learn WordPress community where volunteers contribute educational resources to share with professionals that are seeking to upscale their skills.
What to Listen For:
- 00:00 Intro
- 02:09 Welcome to the pod, Courtney!
- 05:02 Teaching programming in educational institutions
- 10:22 Summer camp for high schoolers to learn WordPress
- 17:39 The challenges of teaching programming in schools
- 21:29 There’s no clear map for people who wants learn tier 2 tech support
- 23:23 Contributions at Learn are mostly from volunteers
- 26:13 Motivation behind WordPress learning voluntary contributions
- 30:12 Identifying needs and keeping the team together
- 32:19 Tapping in to the web dev area can be tricky
- 37:08 Taking subcontract developer job
- 39:26 Identify where you are lacking and what to learn next
- 42:04 What’s the best way to learn new skills?
- 45:54 Find Courtney online!